It’s the Holliest Jolliest time of year! So why not fill your kitchen with delicious Christmas treats for all to try and share with friends and family. Everyone likes Christmas cookies. I think Buddy the Elf says it best “What about Santa’s cookies? I suppose parents eat those, too?” Your kitchen is the heart of your home, so make it smell like Christmas cheer with these three cookie recipes.
Oreo Ornament Cookies
- A box of Oreos (or similar cookie)
- White and dark chocolate melts
- Mini peanut butter cups & rolo’s
- Mini M&M’s, Christmas sprinkles, etc. (to decorate cookie ornaments)
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Melt white & dark chocolates
- Use a fork and dip Oreos in the white & dark chocolates and place on baking sheet
- Before coating sets, press a mini peanut butter cup or rolo on the side & on the tops decorate with mini M&M’s, sprinkles, etc…
- Repeat until supplies are gone (may need to reheat chocolate in microwave)
- Now place ornament cookies in the frig to set for at least 10 minutes
- Eat up these cheerful Christmas cookies! 🙂
Easy Peppermint Patties
- ¼ cup of butter (softened)
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 1.5 tsp peppermint or mint extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (divided)
- ½ cup sugar (to cookie dough balls in)
- Food Coloring (Red & Green)
- In a small bowl combine corn syrup, softened butter, & extract.
- Now add half of the powdered sugar. Once combined ~ add remaining powdered sugar.
- Knead the cookie dough till everything is absorbed (add even more powdered sugar if needed)
- Divide dough into three portions ~ now for the food coloring, add red to one portion, green to another portion, & leave the third portion white.
- Mold cookie dough into ¾ balls & roll in sugar
- To add a design, flatten the balls gently with a fork
- Let cookies stand uncovered at room temperature for a day
Candy Cane Cocoa Cookies
- 2 cups flour (Gluten Free works too)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp peppermint or mint extract
- White chocolate melts
- Vegetable shortening
- Candy Canes (crushed)
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, using a standing mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Now add eggs and extract. Once everything is combined add in the flour mixture.
- Now chill cookie dough 1 hour or overnight
- After chilling, preheat oven to 350*
- Portion out the cookie dough (about 9 per sheet) & bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the middle is set
- Let cool on cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack or parchment paper
- For the decorating part, melt white chocolate. Dip half of each cookie in the white chocolate, place on parchment paper, & sprinkle crushed candy canes.
- Allow to set & eat up!!!
Some of these or all of these cookies are mint to be baked in your kitchen and enjoyed by your family. Remember you can never bake and share enough cheerful Christmas cookies this time of year. Like Buddy Elf says “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing (baking) loud (cookies) for all to hear (eat).”